Moving checklistOn this page we provide you a moving checklist for your international move. We try to make your international relocation as smooth as possible.
EIGHT TO TWELVE WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Establish a timetable for the move. Consider when the working partner has to be in the new location, and when the rest of the family will follow.
- Decide what to do with your current housing: rent out, sell, or terminate lease.
- Look into storage costs for storing personal possessions in your home country rather than shipping them to the new destination.
- Choose the international moving company and set a date for the movers to pack your belongings.
- Obtain information and documentation from your international mover for the paperwork needed to complete prior to packing, including the “Order For Service form”, “Extended Protection coverage” and documents related to export and import customs clearance, and international shipment of your personal possessions.
- Consider a small airfreight shipment of essential items that you would like to be there on your arrival.
- Choose an international relocation agent and inform them of your accommodation and schooling needs. Check out the many links on our website for information or assistance with your relocation needs.
- Obtain original copies of important documents, i.e., passports, driving license(s), birth certificate(s), wedding certificate(s), school report(s), work references and medical reports.
- Apply for visa(s) and working permit(s), if applicable. See moving to country links.
- Gather information on the new location or your new country of residence.
- Arrange temporary accommodation for the period prior to the move (when having your house packed up) and in the new destination prior to the arrival of your belongings.
- Give notice to your child’s school and request school reports.
- Investigate schooling in the new residence.
- Investigate work opportunities for partner and/or children in the new destination.
- If possible, arrange to visit the destination prior to moving in order to find housing and schooling.
- Check on the quarantine laws regarding taking pets to your new destination.
- Consider whether private medical insurance will be required in your new residence.
ONE MONTH BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Notify post office of change of address.
- Change of address notifications for any accounts that you wish to maintain (credit cards, etc.)
- Stop/transfer subscriptions.
- Cancel insurance policies, and check if you can get any money back for the period after the cancellation.
- Check that your appliances will work in the new destination. The voltage in the European Union is 220/240 watts and 50Hz, unlike some countries like the USA which is 110 watts and 60 Hz. It is quite costly to convert or buy transformers for the bigger appliances so it would be better to buy new or secondhand locally. Televisions and video recorders
also operate on different frequencies and systems. They can be converted locally but it may be costly.
- Arrange to see your doctor and dentist. Obtain original copies of any medical reports and supplies of medication (find out the generic name in case you need to purchase medication in the new destination.)
- Order contact lenses, or spare glasses.
- Make a list of things to take, to leave behind and to buy.
- Find out whether your current bank has an overseas branch and if it can handle your future needs.
- If transferring to a new location, but working for the same employer, consider if your salary needs to be paid into your existing account or into your new overseas account.
- Arrange for a statement of “no-claims bonus” from your vehicle insurer.
- Sell things that you don’t need or can’t take with you. Take out advertisements for things to sell, have a garage sale.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Buy products you might need that aren’t available or are cheaper in your home country than in the new destination.
- Start segregating goods to take and leave behind.
- Send out notification of new address.
- Enjoy your time and friends before you leave. Make sure you get their e-mail addresses or Facebook to stay in contact.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE MOVING OVERSEAS
- Arrange for transfer of bank accounts.
- Take pets to vet for immunization, and obtain travel documents.
- Take care of any bills and investments.
- Arrange for any insurance requirements.
ONE WEEK BEFORE MOVING OVERSEAS
- Arrange for deliveries to be stopped.
- List all belongings to be moved, indicating a value for each (get forms from the international moving company).
- Arrange for someone to look after children and pets during the packing.
TWO DAYS BEFORE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- More packing and cleaning, leaving any cartons you pack open for inspection.
- Buy any last-minute products to take with you.
- Buy travelers checks or obtain cash needed for trip and your first week in your new location (credit cards can be used to get cash in your new country, but you will pay a commission.)
- Deal with anything that needs to be picked up or taken back (e.g., dry cleaning, library books, videos, etc.)
DAY BEFORE MOVERS AND PACKERS ARRIVE
- Clean and dry all electrical appliances to avoid mildew.
- Decide if you want certain items to be packed together and group them together.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS TO TAKE WITH YOU WHEN MOVING OVERSEAS:
- Travel Documents
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Papers
- Child Custody Papers
- Adoption Papers
- Driving License(s)
- Record of Vehicle “No-Claims Bonus”
- Medical and dental records, medication and insurance
- School/University Papers
- Any insurance policies and legal documents (Will, Power of Attorney, Bank Statements, Income Tax Records, etc.)
Please let us know if this moving checklist was helpful to you. Any recommendations or extra checks or items for your international move are welcome so we can help other moving customers better in the future.
Submit your review
Thanks for the moving checklist. Can you provide me some more detail on moving my two dogs overseas?
Dear Bill, we are working on a page dedicated to moving pets. I’ll send you some information by email.
Awesome moving checklist. Very Helpful for our international move.
Thanks Monica,Hope you had a good international move!